Skip to main content

Volume 3 Supplement 1


ECCO2R, a french national survey


ECCO2R (extracorporeal dioxide carbon removal) is an extracorporeal decarboxylation technology described in 19781. Physiological studies showed that 50% of produced CO2 were eliminated2. Potential indications are: ultra-protective mechanical ventilation (MV) for acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)3 and hypercapnic patients at risk of failure of noninvasive ventilation (NIV)4. Because of the lack of scientific evidence, ECCO2R is not available in the USA. Several trials are currently conducted in Europe.


To assess the use of ECCO2R in France.


This retrospective, observational study was performed in French intensive care units (ICUs) from January 2010 to January 2015. A phone interview was conducted with French ICUs affiliated to national societies and public and private hospitals registries. Data recorded were the following: use and indications of ECCO2R, type of ECCO2R, number of treated patients during the study period, complications associated with the technique, satisfaction rates (in term of efficacy, tolerance and global) based on a scale (0 to 10), and concomitant use of ECMO in the unit.


222 French ICUs were contacted (52 medical, 20 surgical, 132 polyvalent, 3 cardio-thoracic, 6 paediatric and 2 neurosurgical ICU). Only 3 refused to participate. Thirty-three (15%) ICU had used ECCO2R at least once in the past five years, in 292 patients. Most frequent devices used were: iLA® (Novalung) (63%) and Hemolung® (Alung) (36%). The median number per ICU of treated patients was 3[1-7]. The most frequent indication was ultra-protective ventilation for ADRS (54%). Other indications were: failure of NIV during COPD exacerbation (30%), weaning from invasive MV in COPD patients (12%) and miscellaneous (4%). Among ICUs using ECCO2R, 22 (67%) reported at least one complication. The most frequent complications were bleeding (45%) and membrane failure (18%). Satisfaction rates were: in term of decarboxylation 7.9 ± 2.4; tolerance 6.9 ± 2.6; overall satisfaction 6.8 ± 2.2. Twenty-one (63%) of the 33 ICUs using ECCO2R, also used ECMO. The main reasons for not using ECCO2R were the lack of trained staff, unavailability of the device and the lack of scientific evidence (in respectively 56.5%, 38% and 19%).


These preliminary results show that ECCO2R is not widely used in French ICUs. The lack of strong scientific data on outcome is probably the main reason behind the limited use of ECCO2R. French studies currently in progress will help define indications of ECCO2R and impact on outcome.


  1. Gattinoni , et al: Anesth Analg. 1978, 57 (4): 470-7. Jul-Aug

    Article  PubMed  CAS  Google Scholar 

  2. Muller , et al: Eur Respir J. 2009, 33: 551-558. 10.1183/09031936.00123608.

    Article  PubMed  CAS  Google Scholar 

  3. Bein , et al: Intensive care Med. 2013, 39 (5): 847-56. 10.1007/s00134-012-2787-6. May

    Article  PubMed  PubMed Central  Google Scholar 

  4. Del Sorbo , et al: Critical care. 2015, 43 (1): 120-7. 10.1097/CCM.0000000000000607. Jan

    Article  Google Scholar 

Download references

Author information

Authors and Affiliations


Rights and permissions

Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (, which permits use, duplication, adaptation, distribution, and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.

Reprints and permissions

About this article

Check for updates. Verify currency and authenticity via CrossMark

Cite this article

Deniau, B., Ricard, J., Messika, J. et al. ECCO2R, a french national survey. ICMx 3 (Suppl 1), A679 (2015).

Download citation

  • Published:

  • DOI: