Skip to main content

Advertisement

Volume 3 Supplement 1

ESICM LIVES 2015

Dengue infection with multiorgan dysfunction:-sofa score, arterial lactate and serum albumin levels are predictors of outcome

Article metrics

  • 509 Accesses

Introduction

Mortality in severe dengue infections is attributed to development of multiple organ dysfunctions. The manifestations of severe dengue are varied and unfortunately the exact morbidity and mortality in terms of organ dysfunction are not well studied in Indian context. We did a prospective multicentre observational study in fourteen tertiary care intensive care units of Pune city during July 2012 to December 2013. The aim was to estimate mortality in severe dengue infections with multiorgan organ dysfunction.

Methods

Newly admitted patients in the Intensive Care Units with history, clinical assessment and initial laboratory investigations suggestive / confirming diagnosis of Dengue Infection and having multiorgan dysfunction on SOFA (Sequential organ failure assessment) score (Severe Dengue) were screened for the enrollment in the study. Screening period was defined as first 24 hours within intensive care admission. Inclusion criteria were: Adults > 18 years of age, confirmed diagnosis of Dengue Infection by IgM or NS-1 antigen or Dengue PCR positive and at least two documented Organ Dysfunction by SOFA criteria. Exclusion Criteria were: ICU admission or study enrollment after 5 days of first documented multi organ dysfunction, Pregnancy or Confounding diagnosis (concurrent Malaria /Leptospira /Ricketssia/ Bacterial sepsis). Data was collected on demographics, clinical and laboratory variables. Data on SOFA scores was collected on day 1 and day 2 of enrollment into study.

Results

A total of 113 patients met all inclusion and exclusion criteria. 30 (26·55%) patients did not survive and remaining 83(73·45%) patients survived. Median time to death amongst those who did not survive was 5 (1·5-9) days. Univariable and multivariable Cox Proportional Hazard Risk model created using baseline data on SOFA score, pH, need for external respiratory support, serum albumin level and highest arterial lactate to predict mortality revealed that worse SOFA score at baseline, higher arterial lactate at baseline and low serum albumin levels as significant predictors.

Every mmol/L increase in arterial lactates, the risk of mortality increases by a factor 0f 1.27 and similarly for every 1 unit increase in SOFA score at baseline, mortality increased by a factor of 1·23 Thus presence of organ dysfunction and especially cardiovascular organ dysfunction as evident by high arterial lactates is associated with higher risk of mortality. Analysis of Delta SOFA also revealed worsening SOFA score during intensive care unit stay (SOFA score on day 1 versus SOFA score o n day 2 was associated with increasing mortality.

Conclusions

Our study showed significantly high mortality in patients with severe Dengue Infection especially those with non hematological organ dysfunction. Our study also showed strong correlation of SOFA score and Delta SOFA score, low serum albumin and high arterial lactate with prediction of mortality.

Funding

ISCCM Pune Research Initiative

Table 1 Table 1
Table 2 Table 2
Figure 1
figure1

ROC curve for mortality.

Author information

Correspondence to S Jog.

Rights and permissions

Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0), which permits use, duplication, adaptation, distribution, and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.

Reprints and Permissions

About this article

Verify currency and authenticity via CrossMark

Cite this article

Jog, S., Prayag, S., Rajhans, P. et al. Dengue infection with multiorgan dysfunction:-sofa score, arterial lactate and serum albumin levels are predictors of outcome. ICMx 3, A830 (2015) doi:10.1186/2197-425X-3-S1-A830

Download citation

Keywords

  • Organ Dysfunction
  • Sequential Organ Failure Assessment
  • Serum Albumin Level
  • Dengue Infection
  • Sofa Score